December 5 – Let Go. What (or whom) did you let go of this year? Why? (Author: Alice Bradley)
1. The sense that I have control over anyone, especially my children. There is no control-freak streak in me, but I always thought I had the option to insist when the situation was dire. But I don’t. I can try to influence, but I can’t control.
2. Trying to please others before myself. And sacrificing my needs in order to fill the needs of others.
3. Possessions – I have up-cycled, free-cycled, recycled, charity dumped, thrown out, Craig listed, and ebayed over half of my stuff. And childhood relics of my kids (soccer cleats, dance shoes…). I marveled at how, no matter what I gave up, there was always more.
4. Guilt. It’s a time waster, and given how awesomely difficult this year has been, I don’t have time or resources to waste on guilt.
5. Apologizing. I am so sick of being sorry for everything that’s wrong, especially when it’s really not my fault! My mouth does not even want to form the words, “I’m sorry” anymore.
6. The ex. He is mean and selfish. I guess narcissistic is more accurate. I listen to his voice mails, though usually not all the way through. That’s the extent of the contact I’m comfortable with at present.
7. Caffeine. Well, that’s a process. I’ve given up half my previous caffeine intake, and am working toward giving it up totally. Maybe permanently, but probably not.
What have you let go of?